Q-Sims - Education
by AdNovea - July 2009
Education (v-learning) is one of the major applications (referred as Serious games) in metaverses because it expands the capability of the current e-learning by adding the 3D immersion.
They are several ways to use metaverses for education such as but not limited to:
- using the metavers as a sandbox:
- building objects (geometry learning)
- create collaborative work (team building)
- learn new technologies (use Chat, Instant messaging, Voice chat, etc)
- ease socialization (easy access for disabled persons, avatars are proxies and avoid a prior)
- learn foreign languages and cultures (Chat instant translator is available for most languages)
- using the metavers as a classroom:
- recreate the classroom interactivity thanks to boards, slide and video screens
- enable the students inter activities through paper boards, chat, voice chat, instant massaging (IM)
- provide students an after-course environment to continue group's exchanges
- enable student-to-student instant messaging during classroom
- student inactivity is visible through the avatar behavior
- using the metavers as a volume:
- macro and micro scale (objects) can coexist
- well suited for basic astronomy learning
- easy 3D representation of complex molecules
- Metavers as a sandbox: Art, physic workshops
see also Education
- Metavers as a Classroom: Amphitheater
- Create video screen: see Add movies
- Create a slideshow: Rez a flat prims, place your slides converted as JPG images into the prims Contents folder. Add the SlideShow script.
- Create a white/blackboard - look for the justincc's graffiti board script.
- To enable Voice chat read this
- Create a paper board: Rez a flat prims. Write a notecard with the text to display. Rename the notecard as "message" and put the script and the notecard into the prims Contents folder. Touch the prims to update the display.
- Metavers as a volume: Astronomy
- Enable Advanced menu (Ctrl+Alt+D)
- Under Advanced/Rendering/Types unselect: Trees, Surface path, Sky and Water