Q-Sims - Terrains
by AdNovea - June 2009
How to create a Terrain
New regions have a default terrain that look like a small island in the middle of a 256 x 256 meters region.
You can use the Build tool to terraform the terrain (caterpillar icon) |
There are possibilities to quickly and easily define the shape of your terrain using an image.
The greylevel correspond to the Height field.
Once in an OpenSim console, type:terrain load <filename>
where <filename> correspond to the picture (BMP, TIF, JPG, PNG).
NOTE: Up to now, I have not succeeded this way.
How to generate a terrain using L3DT
I use another method to generate terrain thanks to the very valuable L3DT software.
- Brush your land in your favorite paint tool and save it as a PNG or JPG image (JPEG image introduces some block artifacts due to the DCT compression method) - For information North is up and South is down.
- Download the L3DT Standart Edition [L3DT ]
- File / New project / Designable map (1/5)
- in Heightfield (2/5) set Horiz. scale to "1" and set the width/height to your terrain size (256x256 per region, with 4 regions you shall enter 512x512)
- in "Design map size (3/5)" leave 64
- in "Design map parameters" leave as is (4/5)
- in "Design map" (5/5) lease as is and click "OK"
- File / Import / Heighfield
- in "Import height map (1/2)" browse your to your image file
- in "Heightfile import options (2/2)" set "Horizontal scale" (1 pix = x meters, in our case =1) and choose the Min (-20 deep sea) /Max altitude
- Do any tuning if you want (I did no tuning in this example)
- File / Export / Export map / Heightfield
- Choose R32 and check Options / InvertY = false
In Opensim : in the console type :terrain load-tile <filename> x1 y1 posX posY
where x1 and y1 are the numbers of H/V tiles (one tile is 256x256) and posX/posY correspond to the region at the left-bottom of the terrain.
- eg. a jpeg 512x512 pix image save into bin/../backup/my_reg.r32 to cover 4 regions (1000-1000,1001-1000,1000-1001,1001-1001) will require the following command:terrain load-tile ../backup/my_reg.r32 2 2 1000 1000
- In OpenSim the sea level is 20, therefore you may have to do "terrain elevate 20"
- You may also apply "terrain rescale <min> <max>" to fit you expectations.
External links How to uninstall applications on a mac