By AdNovea – June 2009 – version 1.0
IMPORTANT: Apache-Tomcat requires the JRE QPKG  to be up and running.
- Download, Install and Enable the JRE QPKG first
- Download, Install and Enable the Apache-Tomcat QPKG.
 JRE QPKG is available only for the x86 QNAP Platform. Please refer to the SUN Java website about the release conditions for other processors.
In your browser enter the following address :http://<your_nas_ip>:7080/
 Forward the port to access the Apache-Tomcat server from external network
- To change the Apache-Tomcat port, edit the section below in the conf/server.xml file:<Connector port="7080" protocol="HTTP/1.1" connectionTimeout="20000" redirectPort="8443" />
Set up the Administrator account
If the page here above is displayed, it means that Apache-Tomcat is running.
Nevertheless don't be surprised if you cannot access the Status or the Tomcat Manager. You must first setup the Admin account.
Open the usr/local/tomcat/conf/tomcat-users.xml file using an SFTP client like Transmit(OS X) or WinSCP(Windows), and using a text editor insert the content below between the tags (change with secret):<role rolename="manager"/> <user username="manager" password="password" roles="manager"/>
- The conf/tomcat-users.xml manages all users permissions as shown in the example below:<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?> <tomcat-users> <role rolename="manager"/> <role rolename="tomcat"/> <role rolename="admin"/> <role rolename="role1"/> <user username="both" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1"/> <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/> <user username="admin" password="admin" roles="admin,manager"/> <user username="role1" password="tomcat" roles="role1"/> </tomcat-users>
- Enter the Tomcat Manager.
- In WAR file to deploy, browse to your WAR file
- Click Deploy .
- Your application appears in the List Applications
- Click the link in the list or http://your_nas_ip:7080/my_application
 Deployed applcations are located under the Apache-Tomcat/webapps directory
IMPORTANT: Removal of the Apache-Tomcat QPKG will remove all the deployed applications and associated data.