Ventrilo - Sound Voice Communication software
By AdNovea – May 2009 – version 1.0
MMOG (Massively Multiplayer Online Game) players needs to communicate while doing raids (missions).
World of Warcraft guilde master are used to run voice servers such as TeamSpeak or Ventrilo to talk with team members.
Ventrilo is well suited for small and medium size teams (up to 8 persons max.) to handle the voice exchanges.
Downloads and Installation
Download from the forum at http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=32019
Install and Enable the QPKG from the QNAP Administration web interface.
Download at http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php
NOTE: Client application is only available for Windows as of today (Linux version is under development).
- Enter your nickname and setup how to pronounce it. It need some tunning to get non-english names to be correctly pronounced. Use phonemes to approach the right pronunciation. Capitals may be used to decompose syllables.
- Choose a name this server ptofile
- Enter your IP or domain name (local IP or DNS for distant users)
- Setup a password to protect
- IMPORTANT: for remote access, you must forward the 3784 port TCP & UDP on your router to your NAS.
- List of members is available on the server
- Ventrilo can use a noise detection or a PTT (push to talk) key combination (recommended during game)
Remove any password and default channel, enter your server IP and leave port to 3784. Forward the 3784 port TCP & UDP to your NAS IP on your router. This has already solved some problems when using a DNS provider with a dynamic IP.
- Cannot connect to the Ventrilo server
In a SSH console go to the Ventrilo root folder and type ./ventrilo_srv. In the ventrilo sevrer console type help to get the list of available commands. All connection to the server are reported into the console. This may helps you for debugging.
- Open the Ventrilo Server Console
In a SSH console go to the Ventrilo root folder and type vi ventrilo_srv.ini and customize the following lines.
- Adding a Server Name & Password To The Ventrilo Server
The Name Cannot be blank, or the server will not start up.
I Recommend setting an AdminPassword for personal use, This will give you the ability to have access to the servers Administration abilities through the Ventrilo Client. If you choose to have a required password for users to logon to the Ventrilo Server Set Auth=1 and set the Password field, otherwise as default people will be able to connect to the ventrilo server without the need to enter in a server password.
Restart the Ventrilo Application through the NAS QPKG GUI for changes to apply.
Ventrilo is provided in two versions:
Server 3.0 - Public version
The public version of the Ventrilo 3.0 server can be used without a license fee, so long as you abide by the terms of the LICENSE.
- you may install a single copy of the Software on one (1) Server owned or leased by you and allow up to eight (8) Client Computers to access and use the Software for non- commercial purposes, provided no fee is charged either directly or indirectly for access and use of the Software
Each of the public servers contains a file named LICENSE and by downloading research paper and running the server you are agreeing to the terms of this license.
Server 3.0 - Pro version
This is a commercial version.
Please read details at http://www.ventrilo.com/purchase.php